Welcome to the Debt Collective

60 Trillion is beyond absurd … yet … the congressional members clearly identify the amount as “equal to all stocks on the NYSE” or global economic output for a year (in 2009).
Furthermore … is is also clear that the derivatives were “naked” with no collateral. Thus … the taxpayer received virtually nothing in return.
Now … democrats are up to bat again.

I am so glad this union was founded. I have education debt and credit card debt from years of low wages. I lived paycheck-to-paycheck so I have no retirement except the small monthly social security check I receive. My credit card payments take all of it and I don’t know what to do. I need help and wish to chat with others in a similar predicament. Should I keep making credit card payments or what?

1 Like

Thank you to The Debt Collective for existing!

I now see I have a voice in deciding what we all do together to fight back against endless creditors, collectors and the various government agencies that are extracting from us constantly, and I want to use it.

I went to AI Charleston and with penalties, collections, and interest I am ballpark estimating that my current illegitimate debt load is around $100,000

I have lived under the weight of this number since I got off the college track 10 years ago. Excited to be finally leveraging this number for the benefit of myself and the collective.

I am so grateful that this is really becoming a movement, a large one. This has to be the TSUNAMI finally coming in from Occupy’s almost forgotten earthquake. And I’m grateful to get to be part of it.

Thank you for this platform. Though I don’t qualify for any forgiveness, which is very unfortunate (due to my private loans) I hope to one day qualify since I was left in the dust of my school, even as an alumni. Will continue to keep watching this platform. - Graduate of AI of Minnesota, not making said promise of salary.

Retired, experienced Science/Math Educator, turned Techno-geek, and an ever-lastin’ Accomplice-In-Arms!

Active member of Los Angeles Tenants Union’s Mid-City Local, deeply involved with landlord/property research (LATU Research & LATU Mid-City Local Research).

Finally migrated over to “here” (Debt Collective)

SOLDARITY with ALL us fellow debtors!

Remember . . . WE take care of US!

Hi unfortunately I missed the training. Is there a way to get the information to prepare for the January 18th protest.

I’m still a PhD student and single mom of a 3 year old. I’m doing my graduate degrees overseas and accumulated about half a million in student debt for tuition, housing, and childcare. I’m afraid I won’t ever pay this off and I can’t imagine leaving my son with this debt. I’m hoping this collective will help me find some way out of this :sob::crossed_fingers:

Just today (5.12.2022) got a note from Navient, saying i’m responsible for a debt i co-signed in 2002, and from which the principal borrower tapped out via bankruptcy in 2011 (and with whom i haven’t spoken since c. 2005). I was told at some point that my responsibility was discharged, but damn if i can find the paperwork. Any ideas would be appreciated, as would any commiseration anyone can muster up…

60 trillion is a lot. it would take all day to count that high. my debt is only 20000. i wish i had not spent that money when i knew they wanted me to pay it back,

Sparky Abraham from debt collective contacted me about three weeks ago
i asnwered questions that he sent to me, i have not heard back from him

I originally had $34000 Sallie Mae for my undergraduate degree. In 2009 my husband got in a major car accident left him in coma and $1,000,000 in medical debt as it was a car accident that was ruled someone else’s fault so medical insurance would not pay. We filed lawsuit against them and lost. We then had to file bankruptcy which included student loans. Navient had then had my loans I turned in paperwork they never cleared from debt and judge never said student loans not included. 2009 we took in two boys from state foster system. I took on graduate loan as I thought my undergraduate were taken care of then they increased interest now owe $123000 their debt calculators show I need to pay $1200 month which we can’t afford. My husband works at railroad and they go by gross and take money for Medicare and retirement since it doesn’t pay into social security . He is unijured spouse. I work for State of Missouri Family Support Division. I don’t want to default. If they would of told me in school $1200 a month I would of never took out loans. We need better financial education for young students and need to not push student loans on low income first time college students who don’t understand any of this or their parents. This is not something I would of done if I understood what I understand now. I need any and all suggestions or ideas to make money to pay as we don’t have it with inflation we were all ready short. I have messaged president 3 times. IDR is not helping.

What an astonishing and factual information, which serves to improve my knowledge in such field and to educate family and friends in daily conversations. Greatly appreciate it! Keep it up!

I was in the Debt Collective a while and left. I’m back as I now need to deal with a predatory law firm trying to collect a four year old debt I already went to court over 3 years ago. I am on SSDI and widow benefits through social security. This is my only income of any kind. I jnow it cannot be garnished for private debt. I spoke to a person at said law firm this morning and flatly told them that SS is my only means of support and the rude woman said well you have established stable income so you can pay this. She refused to hear me out. That company got a seriously bad complaint on BBB.
Thanks for having me back.

There is a solution we can employ now.

My payments haven’t even covered interest, so the meager payments I COULD make only resulted in my loan totals going up because some of my loans (parent loans) are at 10% interest.

Hey y’all, I’m here from Utah. I support the cancellation of student and, debt and the creation of a plan to keep future generations from being saddled with the level of debt we have been.

I am interested in seeing how Debt Collective is looking to create momentum for immediate change while planning for the future.