Negotiated Rulemaking - Take Action Today!

Dear For-Profit Members,

TAKE ACTION TODAY!

Many of you are aware of the “Negotiated Rulemaking Sessions” the US Department of Education holds to determine the rules for processes like Borrower Defense. The DOE is currently soliciting public comments on Borrower Defense and we have heard that for-profit lobbyists are dominating the public comments at the expense of borrowers.

Today is the last day for comments! Take a minute and send a public comment TODAY using the template below.

Of course, we know that negotiated rulemaking is not the only answer. We believe in the power of collective action, and getting all of our debts cancelled. Join us on an upcoming call to get involved in our campaign to cancel ALL student debt, as we begin to plan for an escalation and direct action in Washington DC in September.

Public Comments Process: Email negreghearing@ed.gov using the following template:

My name is [name]. I attended [school], a predatory for-profit college that was notoriously scamming students. I was lied to and scammed into taking out [amount] in federal student loans. I applied for borrower defense [date/year] and have [been waiting/got form denial].

My experience with [school] was a nightmare. So has been my experience with borrower defense and the Department of Education.

A court and a lawsuit (Sweet vs. Devos) has already shown that the borrower defense process is completely rigged to deny claims, regardless of the evidence. The lawsuit exposed that in detail, but for those of us who have been through it, we knew that already.

[[Include any personal examples of ED never responding to you, confusion over the process, or getting a form denial if applicable.]]

I know I’m not alone. There are tens of thousands of others who have been waiting for justice through borrower defense, and millions more who were scammed by these schools - but don’t know there are any options for relief.

Please ACT NOW to make this right. Don’t make us wait any longer. And don’t put anyone else through this nightmare.

Fix the broken borrower defense process and cancel ALL our loans. You already have all the evidence you need.

@for_profit_colleges

1 Like

My name is [Carrie Jimerson]. I attended [everest & Kaplan l], a predatory for-profit college that was notoriously scamming students. I was lied to and scammed into taking out [45000] in federal student loans. I applied for borrower defense [08/06/2012] and have [been waiting/got form denial].

My experience with [Everest &Kaplan] was a nightmare. So has been my experience with borrower defense and the Department of Education.

A court and a lawsuit (Sweet vs. Devos) has already shown that the borrower defense process is completely rigged to deny claims, regardless of the evidence. The lawsuit exposed that in detail, but for those of us who have been through it, we knew that already.

[When I asked about getting my Kaplan student loan forgiven I was told that they couldn’t forgive it ,and wasn’t given a reason.These colleges took advantage of our ability to get these loans,now we are stuck with trying to pay them back.

I know I’m not alone. There are tens of thousands of others who have been waiting for justice through borrower defense, and millions more who were scammed by these schools - but don’t know there are any options for relief.

Please ACT NOW to make this right. Don’t make us wait any longer. And don’t put anyone else through this nightmare.

Fix the broken borrower defense process and cancel ALL our loans. You already have all the evidence you need.

@for_profit_colleges

1 Like

Like many of us, I am greatly upset over this “Negotiated Rulemaking Session”. I have sent a letter about two weeks ago to the now, Secretary of Education, explaining my personal situation as well as how it has ruined my life. I guess my only two questions regarding this whole thing is:

1. How much longer do these criminals think we are going to wait for them to decide to provide justice for us?

2. At what point do we start truly holding these criminals responsible by throwing them in prison?

As stated by Winter’s post, the courts have already exposed in (Sweet vs. DeVos) the criminality of the Education Department. Furthermore, in previous court cases, the courts ruled in the debtors’ favor stating that the loans were illegal and should be discharged - completely.

2 Likes