🔥 Follow this thread for updates on #cancelstudentdebt

Hello community,

Today is a big day in the fight for full student debt cancellation. Rep. Pramila Jayapal along with Bernie Sanders and others, made the announcement today for a bill that will cancel all 1.6 Trillion in student debt.

I am creating this thread to post media links and information for our members.

I also want to point out that today’s announcement included the statements from 3 of members that have been organizing with the debt collective for more than 4 years now. They came to represent the faces of that $1.6 trillion in debt that is causing this crisis in so many of our lives.

This article does a nice job of laying out the concepts for this Bill.
Bernie Sanders’s plan for free college and debt canceling, explained - Vox

This thread has video of the announcement and our members Thomas, Pam and Robbie.
https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1143181679558705152

Folks are feeling it

If you are wondering what you can do to get involved or help out. You can start right now by telling your family and friends about this news, sharing on social media. And! share this link for people to sign up for more updates.

https://strikestudentdebt.org/

8 Likes

Hello again,

I am posting a link that has videos from yesterday’s announcement on youtube.

Please share these on social media and with your family and friends.
They can sign up for updates at fulldebtcancellation.com

:loudspeaker: We are here to build a movement. To WIN FULL DEBT RELIEF.
This calls for each and everyone one of our members to bring their energy into this fight. Our power at the Debt Collective comes from supporting one another, learning together, and building towards a collective vision.

•Education is a human right • We need you now • This is a call to action•

Please share your thoughts :point_down::point_down::point_down: on how you feel about this new BILL to #cencelstudentdebt.

solidarity,
Dawn

5 Likes

We need MEMEs
Here is one so far. I will add more.

Please share these with your family, friends and social media.

https://twitter.com/0debtzone

3 Likes

I am so curious what our members are thinking.

If you feel called, please share with us :

•How did you come to be a member of the debt collective?•

•How does this news feel? What are your thoughts or reaction to the Bill announce?•

•What questions do you have? Or maybe even doubt!•

I am missing the pamphlet and other literature from itt tech in Florida around 2012-2013. I want to build my case strong as Betsy’s abs when taking a shh… She’s sleeping.

1 Like

@Hector_A_Padilla did you already file a DTR- Borrower Defense?

I have not. Is there a downloadable packet somewhere with instructions as to what to attach?

I went to ITT in Florida but I am in IL now.
What I recall:
• “you did great on the Math computer test”. I’m not really good.
• “We work closely with local businesses to find students a job sometimes even while studying”.

Does the quality of education they provided add to the case on my favor?

1 Like

Hi there,
We have background information and the link to DOE filing process on our tools page

Defense to Repayment Application — The Debt Collective

Take a look at the information and let me know if you want to set up a time to talk. I am happy to help you through the process. What matters most is your statement and experience. As long as you have a transcript to prove you attended. All the additional documentation is just the whip cream and cherry, if you will. Writing your personal statement, recalling the names and departments of people or interactions you had. These things matter.

We are here to support. So send me a private message if you want to chat.

And that is open to anyone reading this that needs help or wants to talk about HOW TO FILE YOUR BORROWER DEFENSE APPLICATION.

And if we are going to win relief, we need EVERYONE that is eligible for DTR-Borrwer Defense, to make sure they apply.

1 Like

Hello is anybody dealing with Navient? I tried to contact them to see if they would take a payoff and they stated that they would only take a 90% payout. I co-signed for my sons student loans now they are coming after me. I am about ready to retire in a couple of years and I heard thy can come after my SSI. They keep increasing the payment month to them and I cannot afford it too much longer. Is there something I can do or somewhere to go. Not sure if this is something I should be asking or posting on this site. But I need help. Oh the amount of the loan is $76,000.00 .

1 Like

What type of loan is this? A parent PLUS loan? Or a private loan?

If it is a Parent Plus, I would offer that you should look at the DTR_ BORROWER DEFENSE and fill out that application.
https://tools.debtcollective.org/defense-to-repayment

And if it is a private loan, you can look at the Private Student Loan dispute tool. and see if this is a fit for you.
https://tools.debtcollective.org/private-student-loan-dispute

Hi there,
Please be sure to head over to the For Profit community page for more updates on the request for affidavit call to action.

I can use help. Do I need to refer to any of the lawsuits against itt when I’m filling it out?

2 Likes