Student Debt Strike in 2019?

thanks for the quick response.

I definitely think a pledge makes the most sense.

2 Likes

Yes I think we need to show the numbers of people in debt because of student loans. I think showing the enormity of it and the patterns of abuse.

Whether or not we are able to mobilize masses of people who are currently oppressed by this business model is an undertaking - but I believe we need to do something on a massive scale like a campaign to call on a national Default Event, or sit-ins at State Departments of Education (for negligence and lack of oversight).

Have demands that include rejecting solutions that offer ‘forgiveness’ - only abolition. Demand oversight committees for these Federal Programs. Demand investigations into the practices of these Private Corporations handling our Federal Loans retroactively.

I know for a fact that there have been whistle blowers within these corporations that have come forward in court. I am not sure if this link will work - or is appropriate for this thread - delete is it is not. Dropbox - Link not found

I suppose I am trying to expose the systematic predatory practices that are hiding in plain site with impunity. And the number of people affected, with identical stories, is astronomical! There are a lot of us.
I was also working with Occupy and Strike Debt. : )

2 Likes

I like the idea of a pledge and an official start date. I know many of us are already striking in various ways, so maybe the pledge page or splash page can have a breakdown of what a strike really means. It doesnt necessarily mean a default. Its just anything that stops the money transfer. So $0 ibr, borrower defense, forbearance, etc are all valid ways to strike. I think more people would get on board if they understood they could do it strategically without having defaults on their credit reports. I hate credit reports, but we can get more people on board if they are realizing they dont have to ruin their credit to participate.

2 Likes

we can also maybe have original strikers make videos about the successes their striking has brought about. The Corinthian folks who have seen theirs discharged through organizing and striking would be powerful and the videos could tie in with the debt crisis at large and how those schools only existed because of how broken higher ed is.

1 Like

Hi y’all,

Just wanted to say that absolutely, I want to join a campaign to stop paying my student loans with other debtors across the U.S.

4 Likes

Good day community.

Here is a link to the Student Debt Community Page for discussing and sharing information about the new announcement on the Bill #cancelstudentdebt.

Please head over to the link above and share your thoughts, questions, ideas…

3 Likes

Yes, I haven’t paid anything on my loans in quite some time

3 Likes

Hi. Yes, we have conducted debt clinics with partners around the country. Did you have an organization in mind?

1 Like

I’m in CA and would be interested. We were able to get the majority of my husband’s loans discharged, but I don’t know why I waited until a year later to file. Now, I’m waiting a year and a half later for an answer. Ridiculous!

Any updates on this?

1 Like

Hello! There will be an update in a few weeks. Stay tuned! And please ask people you know in debt to join this community. Thanks.

1 Like

Bump. updates please?

1 Like

Hi Beth! There will be an update in the fall about how people can use this platform to help organize a strike. In the meantime, we need to get as many people as possible to sign up to this platform. One way to encourage people to join is to share our tools. People can dispute almost any debt in collections on the tools page. Thanks for your help organizing!

3 Likes

It’s now October. Is there any news?

organizers are working on this! more soon!!

solidarity

2 Likes

Hello Folks!!! :wave:

:loudspeaker: Who here is READY TO TAKE ACTION to win #College4all and Full Cancellation of all 1.6 Trillion in student debt??? We are working hard behind the scene getting the platform ready to launch next steps and actions… in the meantime we do have an easy and simple call to action for those willing to participate.

Who is on STRIKE and NOT MAKING PAYMENTS on their student debt?
• You are actively refusing payment. Loans are delinquent or in default.
• Your loans are in Forbearance or Deferment Status.
• Your IBR is $0 a month.

If this is you, can you send me @Dawn_L :camera_flash: picture of yourself and :thought_balloon: 1-2 lines on why you are on strike.

For example,
My name is Dawn L. and I am on strike because I know we have a right to education without this reckless burden of debt. I am fighting for full cancelation of all student debt because I know we all have been defrauded, regardless of what school we went to.

1 Like

I would definitely join. I’d even help organize the strike in my area. I participated in the Youth Climate Strike with my two boys, which really seemed to get people’s attention. I’d suggest the strike be similar with the emphasis on college students walking out of their classrooms. Unfortunately, once you’ve joined the work force it is much more difficult as you can face being fired for leaving work. I would also suggest that we ALL just not pay our student loan during the strike - even if just one payment was not made by ALL of us it would garner a lot of attention - especially from law makers.

4 Likes

Hi folks! We have created a strike page where people can sign up for the strike. Please sign up and let us know if you have any feedback about the process.

We are having a launch event on CA on Feb 7. We will post more about that soon!