URGENT NEWS for our members that went to a 4profit school

If you need help sorting anything out. Let me know. I am happy to call the Borrower Defense hotline with you to see what is going on.
It is very important to continually check back and make sure they have your account in a Stop Collections/Admin Forbearance status if you filed your DTR.

I thought we had a choice to pay or not to pay while waiting, but my understanding is it still accrued interest, so I been paying. Reluctantly…

Hi,

I filled out the affidavid prior to the deadline. I got a msg. stating I did not complete
the amount of my loans, but I know I did. How do I find out if there is an error?

Thanks,
Debi

2 Likes

you can email testimoney@harvard.law.edu and ask.

I am so sad that I only found out about this today, too late to file the necessary affidavit. I have been waiting nearly a year and a half for a decision from the DOE. I am on an administrative forbearance while I’m waiting, but that doesn’t stop the interest from accruing and my credit score to continue to stay in a lower score than I should be at.

I will pray that this suit is successful and gives the DOE the kick in the butt to get to work on these requests for dismissal.

3 Likes

For denied applications, the Department will apply a credit that approximates any interest that accrued beyond one year after the borrower defense application is filed. All interest will be forgiven during the processing period on any approved applications.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/about/data-center/student/loan-forgiveness/borrower-defense-data

Did you get denied? @Garrett_Shuck

I did that and got no reply.

Not yet, at least to my knowledge. My initial reply was to hopefully comfort the original poster concerns of interest accruing. Been almost 5 years and haven’t been denied or approved

That’s crazy, i submitted my application for the class action lawsuit, but ive been trying to find a way out of this loan for years because they tricked me into signing up with them and I’ve spoken to lawyers and they aren’t familiar with these cases or want $400 just to talk to me about the situation. Its sad really.

Is there a way to follow up on my BDR? Or am I just in limbo?

you can call the borrower defense hotline 1-855-279-6207.

Things you can and should ask:

What is the current status of my DTR application?:
What is the current repayment status of my loans?: •this should be in a stop collections or admin forbearance status. •Make sure ALL of your loans are in a stop collection status.
Ask them to confirm the loan balance… keep an eye if this does not seem right to you.

If you run into any issues. Or if you should discover that you are back in collections …ask for help here. We know that this is not an easy process to navigate.

Dawn

Wow that’s great, I didn’t know that existed, what are people’s experiences calling that number? (Does it help/worsen our case)

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for writing! It is just an information hotline. It doesn’t help or hurt your case. You can ask about your status. And confirm they have your application.

2 Likes

Hi @Ed1979 if you file a DTR- Borrower Defense application. It is actually a good habit to call this hotline periodically and check on the status of you dispute.

If you want, I can call with you and we can get an update for you. Sometimes it helps with a buddy system.

Dawn

1 Like

Thanks so much Dawn, I was going to call Tomorrow. Where are you located? I’m on the East Coast (NY)

Were do we fill out the affidavit

Besides the BDR and the class action lawsuit are there other avenues to pursue a discharge? Like I said I called a bunch of lawyers, even bankruptcy ones and they either said it’s not possible because I don’t meet the criteria (thanks God) or they wanted $400 up front just to talk about my situation.

IMHO the besides is…FIGHT LIKE HELL FOR COLLEGE FOR ALL.
They are going to keep us on this Tom :cat: and Jerry :mouse: cycle unless we get serious and get organized and fight for full debt cancellation!!! What we are seeing is insanity and abuse of power. This is not something to stand by and just wait it out for a court case… we have to do much much more.

Thanks for the questions and putting ideas out there. We are all learning in this as we go along.

Solidarity,
Dawn

1 Like

I’m confused. I handed all of this information in, on time, but was told that Harvard wouldn’t be using my case - why would that be, any thoughts? I really want to be a part of this as I have spent a very long time battling this cause… // Kim