TPD Forgiveness

I have over $140,000 in student debt for two degrees, plus a year+ of other schooling. I recently applied to have it forgiven through the Total and Permanent Disability program. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2004 and hospitalized in 2006. Been fine since, with depression. However, even with a masters degree, I have been having a hard time finding a job and even keeping one.

I’m worried that, if my loans aren’t forgiven, I will not be able to repay. I live on ssdi every month. So, I’m concerned. Anyway, I’m in Oregon and am interested in learning from folks and organizing.

Peace.

2 Likes

Hi Preston,
You came to the right place, you will find a lot of support here. Are your loans federal or private?

3 Likes

All my student loans are federal.

2 Likes

Just wanted to give you an update: my loans were forgiven and will be removed in December of 2022. I have to live under the federal poverty guidelines for a family of 2 until then (like $17,000 per year gross), but I won’t have to pay anything or have a tax burden at the end. As long as I make under the amount and don’t take out any more student loans during the three year period.

https://www.disabilitydischarge.com/

1 Like

Don’t take any more loans period, ever. A new TPD discharge will be impossible to get and you’ll be saddled with it. I’m dealing with trying to get private loans discharged myself.