Stopped paying one of my cards

Hi everyone. I’m sure I am not alone in this, or well, better yet, I hope I am not alone in this. I am an artist and for the last seven years have been underemployed and dealing with some mental health challenges. I’ve been sliding by and using a credit card for groceries, travel, and to pay my therapist. This card is now maxed out. I had been working towards getting back into full-time employment this spring, but now there is mass unemployment and I don’t want to use what money I have left to pay this card. I have been reading up on what it might mean to simply stop paying a card and it doesn’t seem so bad because I don’t really have any assets, i.e. house or car. If anyone has some advice from the future - what to really expect. I’d love to not feel so alone in this decision. Thank you!

Hi @D_black,

I’m so sorry that you have been dealing with all of this.

I can’t really tell you what you should or shouldn’t do in this situation. But bankruptcy is an option that might be worth exploring. It has its own pros and cons.

Although you might not have any assets, you should be aware of and prepared for the way this might affect your credit score/report. Our credit system is deeply messed up and can be used against you in all kinds of unjust ways. But depending on your circumstances, it might be less of a factor for you (for example, if you already have poor credit and are already facing these issues).

You might want to check out the chapters on bankruptcy, credit cards and credit reports in the Debt Resisters’ Operations Manual here: DROM - Strike Debt!