Campaign Study Materials
Why are we in so much debt?
Watch Jason Wozniak’s talk about the structural causes of the student debt crisis (his slideshow can be found here)
Read “Student Loans are a Labor Issue,” by Jalil Bishop
How does student debt affect women and black borrowers?
- Watch Jalil Bishop’s talk about the history of debt being used as a system of control against the black community
- Read “How Student Debt is Worsening Gender and Racial Injustice,” by Sparky Abraham
Why full student debt cancellation? Why college for all?
- Watch Hannah Appel’s talk about the #CancelStudentDebt and #CollegeForAll campaign (find her slideshow here)
- Read “Cancel All the Student Debt: It’s About Economic and Racial Justice,” by Naomi Zewde & Darrick Hamilton
- Read “Cancelling student debt was always the right thing to do. Now it’s imperative” by Astra Taylor
- Read “Inside the Progressive Debate Over the Student Debt Crisis”, a good overview of some debates over student debt cancellation among progressives
What is the strategy to win? How do we organize?
- Watch Thomas Gokey’s talk about the mechanism of “compromise and settlement”
- Read “Debtors of the World, Unite” by Hannah Appel
- Watch this video about the first student debt strike in U.S. history
- Watch “Engaging Those Not Talking with Us” and “On Organizing”, videos by Jane McAlevey: https://janemcalevey.com/video-shorts/
Want to start a Debt Collective chapter & lead student debt protests?
(shout out: @student_debt members )