Organizing to Win College for All in California's 12th District

This action is for everyone who lives in CA’s 12th district. We want to put pressure on members of Congress to cancel student debt and make college free.

(Not sure which district you live in? Look it up here.)

Nancy Pelosi (D) has not taken a position on H.R. 3473, the College for All Act of 2019 (which would make all public colleges free) or H.R. 3448, the Student Debt Cancellation Act of 2019, which would cancel all student debt). Can we force her to co-sponsor or otherwise support these bills? Since she is currently the Speaker of the House, getting her to support these policies would encourage others to do the same.

Here is information about the impact of student debt on the district. StudentDebt_CA12.pdf (1.1 MB)

For additional resources on how to put pressure on your representatives, go here.
Share your progress and your ideas for convincing this rep to support a debt jubilee on this thread.

4 Likes

I am in the 12th District. If anyone wants to meet up and talk about pressuring Pelosi, let me know.

Solidarity,
Dawn

3 Likes

I gave it a shot.

2 Likes

Here is the response I received from Pelosi.

This is unacceptable and demonstrates to me that her office is trying to make light of a crisis.

LET’S CANVASS HER DISTRICT AND GET WORD OUT TO OUR NEIGHBORS. We all need to demand she signs on to C4A.

Dear Ms. Lueck,

Thank you for writing to express your views on the importance of education. Nothing reduces the deficit or brings more revenue to the Treasury than investments in education, from early learning, K-12, college, post-grad, and lifelong learning.

It is our moral obligation to expand early learning for all children and ensure every family has access to quality, safe and affordable child care. Closing this gap is paramount and the most valuable investment our nation can make in its future. From investments in Head Start, improving early learning accessibility, expanding universal pre-kindergarten and affordable child care, the right to high-quality early learning is the right of every child and student.

Unfortunately, across the country, too many families do not have access to high-quality early learning and care that will help their children thrive without breaking the bank. The solution is clear: We need a Better Deal. House Democrats are dedicated to passing the Child Care for Working Families Act, which would address the current early learning and care crisis by ensuring affordable childcare while bolstering our childcare workforce.

On December 10, 2015, House Democrats were proud to lead the effort to overhaul and rewrite of the outdated standards of No Child Left Behind and give more flexibility to states and school districts in targeting the most vulnerable students and improve low-preforming schools. However, the Trump budget would decimate this landmark progress roll back important provisions of education equity.

Two out of every three job openings will require some college experience by 2020, while the largest generation and future leaders of our country, Millennials, face an uphill battle with stagnant wages and student loan debt soaring over $1.4 trillion. That is why House Democrats launched the “Aim Higher” initiative which makes higher education more accessible and affordable for working families. By increasing Pell Grants, improving pathways to complete a college degree, expanding opportunity for under served populations, enhancing student aid programs and bolstering federal-state partnerships for community colleges we can ensure our working students not only aim higher, but achieve higher.

Students and families expect Congress to fight for better jobs, better wages, and a better future. Our common sense, 21st century proposals, will spur economic growth by blending classroom learning and work-site training. We will fight to actually train workers for the jobs that are available. By giving employers a role in curriculum development and providing on-site experience and other educational opportunities we can ensure that those Americans graduating from community colleges, technical schools, and other training programs are already prepared with the tools and skills they need to succeed and get a job.

Please be assured, House Democrats remain committed to protecting and promoting the civil rights of all students and educators, regardless of their zip code to ensure access to a free, quality, public, world-class education.

Thank you, again, for contacting me on this issue. I hope you will continue to communicate with me on matters of concern to you. For more information on this or other issues affecting our city and our nation, please visit my website at http://www.pelosi.house.gov/ or sign up to receive e-mail updates at Newsletter Subscription | Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi.

Best regards,

NANCY PELOSI
Member of Congress

Lol, her form letter response wasn’t even a response to student debt or higher ed policy. This is a multi-purpose response that I bet they send to anyone who sent them anything at all even vaguely education related.

Leave it up to the leader of the Democrats to aim so low with her “Aim Higher” package of :poop:

2 Likes