Navient Emergency Forbearance?

After almost 4 years of waiting I got the generic denial on my borrower’s defense application a few months ago. I just got a notice from Navient dated 11/14/20 saying the Department of Education is reviewing my borrower’s defense application and have listed my loans as an emergency forbearance… the letter said my current situation was more favorable (zero interest) but the day AFTER that deal expires this emergency forbearance will go into effect. WTH is this about? What are they up to now? Anyone else receive this notification?

1 Like

Hi @ehart459,

The emergency forbearance is the temporary moratorium due to COVID which is currently set to expire on Dec. 31.

It is hard to tell from the report you’ve given here, but it sounds like your current situation might be some kind of $0 monthly payment on one of the various income driven repayment plans. If that is the case, you should be solid even if the moratorium expires.

In terms of the borrower defense to repayment denial, I’d hold tight and take a wait-and-see approach for now. The new Biden administration will give us a fresh start on borrower defense. Although we don’t know exactly what they will do, and we remember how bitterly we had to fight against the Obama administration, I think the general expectation is that team Biden will reexamine many of the denials and that at least some of them will get cancellation.

3 Likes