MOHELA Limbo: Anyone Else Here?

So my consolidated federal loans were under PHEAA since 2013. I paid minimum and more some years on my loans up until 2019-ish.

They send notice saying that this summer they will be transferred to MOHELA. I was told that the transfer will be complete before July ends. I never got confirmation it was complete and on the FEDLOAN site (old servicer) my loans are gone (shows $0).

I have not tried to make an account yet on MOHELA until I get the email that they have completed transfer. The site looks horrible by the way, complete with a blurry low quality logo.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Or made an account and saw their loans despite no confirmation?

1 Like

FedLoan had an electronic letter stating I’d transfer to MOHELA after 7/21/22 and MOHELA said the transfer would be complete 8/6/22. I was in limbo for 2 weeks with $0 loan amounts on both accounts.

Try calling MOHELA because their system reported that the transfer would happen with a date. Transfers are done in batches. I was able to create an online account while in limbo. Only able to create an app on my phone after the transfer was complete. Good luck! The calls get picked up within 5 minutes for FedLoan, MOHELA, and AidVantage (they are the consolidation services for MOHELA).

StudentAid.gov should also state who your new servicer will be.

2 Likes

There is confusion- it is not just you! Concern today is how best to proceed in August and not be overwhelmed with payment amounts. Navient did not send information that Aidvantage was new servicer. Aidvantage did not send information that Mohela was servicer after consolidation was completed. Consolidation in this case in order to comply with PSLF application. Mohela phone agent said PSLF not yet processed but could not be certain. Some advice says to keep calling, see if studentaid.gov/ or fedloan has current info. & don’t do anything extreme at present; confirm payments are ‘paused’, interest is 0?

1 Like

My loans were moved to MOHELA a few years back. I have found them to be easy to work with. I’d suggest calling MOHELA customer service to see if they have your loans on file and if they can send you a confirmation.

I just got notified my credit tanked due to my loan transfer and MOHELA said they have nothing to do with credit score effect. I’ve been working so hard to rebuild my credit and this useless company has utterly screwed me. I’ve never had these issues with fedloan servicing…I’m at a loss of what to do.

An update, I have created an account with MOHELA and see my data again. I resubmitted my PSLF documents but all i get it “At this time your PSLF form could not be found. Keep in mind we may have received it, but have not yet loaded your form into our search tool due to unprecedented interest in the PSLF and PSLF limited waiver. If you recently submitted a form, please allow up to 30 days for your form to be loaded to our system. We thank you for your patience.”

It’s been over a month. This site is so poorly made on top of that. You can tell it was just thrown together (I am a seasoned developer who did website apps for many years). I’m watching them closely for missteps and documenting all of this. Thanks for the help everyone!

1 Like

I’m so sorry that happened to you! Maybe you can dispute with a credit bureau? Do you know which one reported this dip?

try to find time to wait on a phone call with Mohela - you will need patience and need to call during their regular hours (may be as long as 45 minutes wait time or more, may be a long voice prompt/info. recording loop, then to an agent) - write your questions and be specific -other caution, if you call near the end of the business day for them and are on hold, you will be cut off if their work day ends, so call early. Get something on record, send an email or letter in the post to document your status whether you have a clear path or not with your debt. Many best wishes for patience and fortitude as you are not alone