Major Reporting by The New Yorker

The Debt Collective’s efforts were reported last night in The New Yorker – and the somehow-still-shocking news that the Biden admin is quite possibly well-aware of Biden’s ability to cancel student debt with a signature. I don’t know if this was mentioned somewhere else on the site (if so, I apologize), but I didn’t see it and wanted to make sure everyone involved gets huge props for making this happen. It has been so healing for me to be a part of this collective because the particular hell of drowning in student debt is hard to understand unless you’ve directly experienced it. Here’s a link for those who haven’t seen – New Yorker article

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this. I just looked through the article and it was super informative + important. I did not know the full history of the Debt Collective – and its direct roots to Occupy Wall Street.

I also felt like this quote was so powerful: "We’re a signature away from wiping out everyone’s federal student loans, and Biden apparently just doesn’t want to,” Gokey said. “We’ve given him a magic wand, a way to help millions of people and get them excited to come out to vote for him. Who wouldn’t want to do that?”

Thanks for drawing my attention to this! I hope all is well. Sending energy + healing your way.

Best,
Meghan