Librarian in search a solution

Hello Everyone,

I am a Library Technician working as a contract employee with the government. My federal loan debt $135,827.68. I earned my Master’s in Library Science degree in 2013 and am on an Income-Driven Repayment program. My income is low enough to qualify for the program but not high enough to pay off the debt. I am 52 years old and have a son who will graduate from high school in 2022. I have no college savings for him.

My husband is a professor at a public university and was told that he did not qualify for loan forgiveness based upon being a teacher. No reason was given for why not. He too is drowning in student loans. Our debt is holding us back saving for retirement, paying for our son’s college education, and makes it more difficult to pay off other loans. Even though he makes a good salary much of his paycheck goes to paying off loans. Whatever is leftover goes towards the mortgage payment, credit card, car payment, and groceries.

It is my sincere hope that by joining this collective that I can push for free college for all and the cancellation of all student debt. I believe this is the time that these can be realized since Biden appears to be open to the possibility of cancelling student debt.

3 Likes