In Los Angeles? Help pass a cancel student debt resolution!

Hi all - especially those of you in @California (Los Angeles specifically!).

Members of the Debt Collective have been working to introduce a resolution in the Los Angeles City Council demanding the president cancel student debt, similar to the resolutions we’ve passed in Philadelphia, Boston and more! You can read the LA resolution here.

If you’re in the area, we need your help to pass it. Read more below!

LA City Council’s Rules Committee has put the resolution on tomorrow’s agenda. They’ll be talking about tomorrow, 9/14, at the meeting starting at 2:30pm. The meeting is entirely virtual. But, we need more voices calling for it to pass and explaining why it’s so important.

Provide public comment saying it should pass. You can do so by:

• Joining the meeting tomorrow: members of the public who would like to offer public comment on the items listed on the agenda should call 1 669 254 5252 and use Meeting ID No. 160 593 4341 and then press #. Press # again when prompted for participant ID. Once admitted into the meeting, press *9 to request to speak.

• Submit written comment here.

If you need talking points, click here and reply to this message with any questions!

Hopefully this will be our next big resolution to pass! Congrats to everyone who has been working so hard to pass this and everyone who will be adding public comment.

One step closer to full cancellation!

Does anyone know if this meeting took place? I kept on calling and the message was always “it has not started yet”
Thanks,
Barbara

Oh no, sorry about that Barbara! I tried to post an update yesterday but looks like it didn’t work. For some reason, it looks like the meeting was rescheduled and moved to today! If you’re able to join it’s at 2:30 PM PT today according to the new schedule, or you can still submit written comment here.

Thank you umme, I already submitted a written comment. Will try to call in today.
B

Amazing! Thanks to you and everyone else who made calls and gave testimony, this resolution has moved out of committee & will be voted on next. We’ll keep everyone updated on next steps – but yay!!!

:clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4::cake::unicorn: