I have a similar story like the one I read that brought me to this site

From 2006 to 2012 I attended a 4 year university. I was 9 credits away from graduation when I had to drop out. I exhausted all of my loans I could accept, but couldnt pay them back when it came time. I haven’t even tried to look into them since I left school, but I know one of them in the amount of 7000 is now in charge for the IRS to collect, and the school is saying I cant go back until that specific loan is out of deferment. But I cant afford to get it out of deferment, and they said its going to take a lot of time in order to make enough payments to get it out so I can go to school again. I REALLY want to finish my degree, but don’t know what to do. I still have financial aid available (Im pretty sure) but the school won’t let me do anything until I get this one taken care of. (Switching schools isn’t an option I would lose too many credits) Does anyone have info on what I can do? I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi @waawaatesi, I am sorry that you are having to deal with all of this.

One option which might be available to you is to consolidate all of your loans. It might take a few smaller payments to do that as a part of the process, but if you consolidate them into a new loan it should bring it out of deferment and let you finish school. While in school your loans would be in deferment, and after you are done we can see what the least bad option is for you (maybe $0 monthly payments under an income driven repayment plan would be an option in your case?).

Can I ask, which story led you to this site?