Get Started By Telling Your Student Debt Story

If you want to get on a call and talk about your tax off set situation. I would be happy to. In the meantime, you have the right to file for a tax extension. And to delay filing until later in the year. I would strong suggest you consider this as an option as you look into ways to protect yourself from tax offset. We can talk about some options.

Solidarity,
Dawn

Hey there, I want to put you in touch with one of our organizers that will be in Chicaog at an event this weekend. If you can make it tomorrow you could meet him and learn more about the student debt strike. I will DM you the info.

Just want to chime in really fast and say thank you to the individuals that have added their story in this space.

We know that many of us are living on the edge of absolute crisis in our lives as a direct impact of student debt. And I know first hand, because I worked in Financial Aid, that is not what was promised to borrowers. And without even knowing how unbearable the debt would be…we all signed up. We were given no other option then to go into massive debt. They said, oh don’t worry you will be more employable if you take the debt and get the degree. Student and Parent Borrowers have been misled and lied to.

What makes it worst is that it DOES NOT have to be this way. And only 2 generation ago, it WAS NOT like this. folks did not have student debt.

Matter fact! Student debt wasn’t even considered significant to measure back in 1999. Now we see it is jumped drastically in that span of time to $1.7 Trillion effecting 45 million debtors.

If you are on strike, be sure to add your name. If you are not on strike but would consider striking in the future, or if you are just in solidarity. Be sure to declare it and join us at strike.debtcollective.org

2 Likes

I graduated in 96, took loans out because I was single parent of 3 boys an no support. I am almost 60 and loans have more than doubled. We that went to school back then are not eligible for income based and many other options. I was told best to consolodate before 2001 and this locked me out. Sure I am not the only one!!!

Continuing the discussion from Get Started By Telling Your Student Debt Story:

Hi my name is Ruben and I have a 48,000.00 federal student loan. 24,000.00 of that is interest. I went to a technical school for less than a year and was charged full price. I did 1 semester and charged full price. This is unheard of.

My name is Leeanne but most people call me Kit or Sinthea. I’ve got $47k in student loan debt.

My mentally and emotionally abusive husband picked my university and degree- a Associates Degree in Admin assistant concentrating on medical billing and coding through AIU Online. Now that I’m older and wiser, I see how they are expensive compared to their competitors and how having a online degree itself would handicap me in the job market but I didn’t then, not that I had all the say in the world.

I graduated in 2012 and while I was going to school the coding language changed from ICD9 to ICD10. I reached out to ask what we would be taught and was ignored. At that point my marriage was falling apart and I was pulled in all sorts of directions. They taught me I Icd9 and I was unable to get certified as I wasn’t taught to correct language. I’ve deferred as much as I can and put off the loan as much as I can but I’m terrified if I can’t find a job maying above minimum wage that when the loan comes due we’ll bankrupt.

My 2nd husband and I have already gone through bankruptcy once and I was told last year by the lawyer there was nothing that could be done on my student loans. Now I hear different and I wish I could go back and get them taken care of too. We’re making ends meet with one income but just nearly.

1 Like

Hello, my name is Katherine. After taking classes for three years or so , I was informed that unless I paid $1,000.00 I couldn’t take anymore because my financial aid had run out. Due to my husband and I not working, I couldn’t afford it, therefore I couldn’t take anymore classes. A few years later, my husband and I separated and my daughter and I moved back to Arizona with my mom. When my mom lost her house, we moved again, forwarding the mail to the new address like most people would. With my luck, the papers saying they were going to garnish my wages came but went to my previous address. Needless to say, by the time I received them, it was too late. I missed the deadline explaining my finances and why I couldn’t afford to pay. By this time, I was working and they started garnishing my wages. But because of that, and being a single parent, my daughter and I are forced to live with my mom because I can’t afford to pay rent unless we don’t use the utilities or have food to eat. As of now, my student loan is around $90,000.00 so I’ll never be able to buy a house, go on vacation, etc. I think it sucks paying that much for a degree i was never able to get. If I couldn’t pay $1000.00 to take another class, what makes them think I can afford to pay off $90,000.00 for the rest of my life? Lol

Over 100K in student loan debt after I obtained my Masters in Ed. I applied and received acceptance to the Federal Student Loan forgiveness program and paid a hefty 500+ per month for over three years and the principal just kept getting higher every year, not lowering my debt one bit! I have stopped paying and am not able to find a bank that can offer a consolidated personal loan. My stress is high. I teach math and science in a title 9 school. I would and could pay back a loan if it made sense and the terms are reasonable, like being able to reduce the principal by 100-150/month; I’d pay 500+/mos so that I could prove my credit score and move forward.