Freelancer Seeking Debt Advice

Hey all,

I’m a 27 year-old freelancer in need of some advice. I had to take out loans to go to university and now I’m over $45,000 deep in debt. After graduating in 2021, I had a job lined up with an anti-sex trafficking non-profit in Sub-Saharan Africa, but they rescinded the offer when they found out I’m gay. My parents cut me off thereafter. This caused my life to spiral, and I ended up hopping from job to job.

I spent the next few years volunteering out of the country, searching for myself, and eventually found a job teaching English in Japan. Currently, I’m volunteering at an NGO in northern Cambodia that provides free education to the rural poor. To support myself, I freelance as a writer/editor for various Japanese translation clients.

I’m not sure what my next move should be, and I would really appreciate any advice on how to handle my student debt and credit debt.

Thanks,
Jarrison

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear about your situation. Are you from the U.S.? If so, I might have some suggestions, as I’m only familiar with the American student loan/debt system.