Discharge denied email -next steps?

After seeing many Facebook posts regarding the denial, I too finally received mine.

ED has determined that your application is ineligible for relief based on review of the facts of your claim and the regulatory criteria for relief; this decision means that your Direct Loans will not be discharged.

Each topic states failed to state a legal claim and insufficient evidence, and that:

We reviewed evidence provided by you and other borrowers who attended your school. Additionally, we considered evidence gathered from the following sources:

IA Attorney General’s Office
IL Attorney General’s Office
CO Attorney General’s Office
Evidence obtained by the Department in conjunction with its regular oversight activities
Senate Hearing Testimony of EDMC career services adviser before the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (September 30, 2010)
Materials, including publicly available securities filings, prepared by Education Management Corporation

What are the next steps? Sure we can respond for reconsideration to BorrowerDefense@ed.gov. Has anyone gotten an approval, or are they just denying thousands upon thousands.

7 Likes

I received the same email the other day, also unsure of what to do. The part that grates on me the most is the lack of claim made. Not sure I ever had the opportunity to make any specific legal claim. It feels like we’re being broadly dismissed to force is into paying back loans to new groups that were recently hand picked by Devos.

1 Like

I just received my denial too :frowning: not sure what to do next.

1 Like

I also just received my denial email. I can’t get over the dreadful feeling that my life is going to be ruined by this. Idk what to do.

1 Like

I just received my blanket denial letter after over 4 years waiting. Same thing. So infuriating.

1 Like

Hi All,
I received basically the same email. Then I found an article stating that 94% of BDTR applications have been denied (picturing DeVos with her smug little grin).

This is why we have to organize and stick together! There are more of us than there are of them!