Disabled and in student loan debt

I’m 100% disabled. Bad lung surgeries I can die anytime from random lung collapse. My bad back is nothing compared to that. Student loans take money from my disability check. Sigh. Makes eating and bill paying tough. Always a step away from homeless.

Hi Sawdey,
That’s terrible. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Disability payments are rarely enough to live on as It is. Did you consider getting into the income based repayment program? It might lower your payments if you are in diffculty. When i went on disability, it saved my life. Peace.

Hi @Sawdey66, I am so sorry that you are dealing with all of this.

I don’t have much experience with this process, but there is a process to apply for a discharge of your student loans if you have a “total and permanent disability.”

You can learn more here: https://disabilitydischarge.com/

1 Like

Use the link Thomas provided and apply for discharge. When you apply, that will stop the garnishment until it’s decided. You have a great shot at discharge. Have your doctor do a section of it on your disabilities and make sure to send in everything asked for. Mine were discharged with this. Blessings!

1 Like