Detroit / Michigan Chapter?

I live in Detroit & teach in Ann Arbor and am active with my union LEO (Lecturers’ Employee Organization AFT-MI Local 6244). I’d like to be part of a Detroit/MI Debt Chapter, but I don’t wanna be in charge! I have union organizing & communication skills to contribute, but I’m over extended/committed for at least the next 4 months, but will be a good helper to whom ever can step up! :wink:

AndyT

4 Likes

I live in the Metro - Detroit area and work in Dearborn Public Schools, I’d also love to be part of a Detroit/Michigan chapter. I don’t have a lot of experience but really want to help and get involved in any way I can!

2 Likes

My name’s Alex, I’d be willing to collaborate and build this with remote participation as this is what I have informally been working towards.
I’m located in Detroit, District 2. Recently appointed to the Board of Review for tax exemption; aka HPTAP. Otherwise background is commercial design, BAS PoliSci/Econ from Wayne State. Homeowner, canvas lead for Fitzgerald @ Brilliant Detroit. I’ve been organizing the residents, block clubs since I bought my home in 2018; District 2 is the richest per capita district & by homeownership/occupied structures. My board duties is essentially a map for pain, debt & abuse of the last 50 years in working class wealth. A chapter would be ideal starting here as we have both higher education fiduciary partnership options & willing help from the local officials to create the right environment to make change on debt, taxes & the capitalist class.

3 Likes

What an exciting thread, @AndyT, @shmurtaz & @dsquareddetroit! I’m Umme, organizing with the Debt Collective. Would y’all be up for jumping on a call to talk about what local organizing in MI / Detroit could look like? And anyone else in @Michigan who might be interested in building something locally? If people are up for it, here’s a when2meet if folks could input their availability, I can find a time for a call!

3 Likes

Thanks Umme for trying to get something started! I filled out the When2Meet. I have no availability for Thur/Fri this week, but I found some times on each day listed thereafter. I kinda like the idea of mtg on MLK Day, since I don’t have work scheduled that day AND doing organizing work seems like a great way to honor the civil rights movement. Would also buy us some time to try and drum up a few more participants…

AndyT

Wow Alex, you’ve got a lot of irons in the fire as a resident & working with other city resident stakeholders! Cool! I’m a renter in District 6 (in SW Detroit/Hubbard Farms) formerly from District 5 (lived in the Eastern Market for 11 years before the real estate market got out of control). Definitely interested in learning more about the work that you do!
AndyT

Hi Syed! I read your info in the “Introduce Yourself” thread and am glad that you want to get involved! I feel you on not having a lot of experience, 3 years ago I had none, but I learned a lot through my union purely by just showing up to meetings/events/actions. We’ll see what kinda group we can assemble in the next few weeks to get something started!

AndyT

1 Like

Hey @umme I just filled out the schedule, I would love to be able hop on a call sometime and figure out next steps!

@AndyT I also would love to meet on MLK day, it does seem like the appropriate time to meet! I’m definitely looking forward to learning a lot from both yourself and @dsquareddetroit!

Awesome, thanks to you & @AndyT for completing the when2meet! If MLK day works for both of y’all, let’s do it. Looks like 5 PM ET is a good time! I can send you both calendar invites. Can you send me your email addresses? Mine is umme@debtcollective.org if you want to email them to me or ping me here.

Look forward to it!

1 Like

I’m in the capitol city area, but I would love to join remotely if/when a chapter is up and running.

2 Likes

Cool! We’re going to try and have an initial meeting tomorrow (Monday MLK Day) @ 5pm EST. You can email Umme to get the Google Meet link: umme@debtcollective.org

Hello again! I know it’s been over a year, but I’m wanting to try to restart working on a Detroit/SE MI/Michigan chapter if we can! I just got done with a Student Debt Clinic training through my union, AFT-MI and it’s given me a little boost of energy to do more organizing around debt!

Hi Andy,
I am interested in having a chapter here in Detroit. I’m not quite sure what all is involved, but I would love to help bring any helpful information to people locally.

1 Like

Hello Douglas! Sorry I missed the alert with your reply, apologies for waiting a whole month to write back! @shmurtaz and I met once last year in 2021 with one of the organizers, and so I’m guessing that’d be the first step in trying to put something together this time around. Maybe we can get @dsquareddetroit and @cschinke involved too?

Hey y’all! My name’s Bridget Vial, I live in District 6 as well. Just joining the Debt Collective after reading Can’t Pay Won’t Pay. I do energy democracy/utility justice work and am interested in the idea of a utility (DTE) debtor’s union. But really would love to just learn what other folks are working on / thinking about.

Hi @bridgetv excited to learn more about that work and support in connecting you with Debtors around District 6. My name is Nick, I’m doing organizing w/ The Debt Collective! Would you want to chat sometime on zoom?

I am very late to the game! I just joined today after submitting a petition through the Student Debt Release Tool and would love to join you all. I’m in Detroit in District 2 and work in District 4.