Contribute Your Ideas to the College for All Campaign

We are all in this together. Debt Collective members have put together this campaign and included some suggested actions. But we want to hear from YOU. What are your ideas for how we can win a student debt jubilee and college for all?

1 Like

I am running for Congress on Long Island in NY. This is a major part of my platform, esp. our Financial Slavery to interest and debt. I will make this a louder voice

2 Likes

I went to a small private business college in the early 90’s, as a single mother. I earned my Associated Degree in legal assisting there, while having my brother bring my son into the classroom to nurse him.

The irony, is that school took all the federal loans, filtered it to wherever - and declared bankruptcy a year or so after I had walked proudly out of there with a 4.0 Summa Cum Laud AS degree.

Part of the deal when I signed up with this college was the promise that my credits would be accepted by another college to continue pursuing my BA and hopefully my Master’s Degree. I should have been a Phd by now.

But I’m not. And the reason I am not? Is because I went ON STRIKE people - a LONG time ago. I refuse to pay a single penny for the contract THEY broke. If they stole the money from the government and got forgiven for it in a court of law, via a bankruptcy - then why was I - THE VICTIM who did not receive what she was PAYING for - being made to pay?

Picture for a moment two jars. One is full of jellybeans, and all of these are given to the school, because it is my loan for paying the school. The other is empty, and has the label “administrative fees and interest” on it. Now, we have collector number one who asks me to agree to a repayment plan. Never mind how poor I am because I could earn more waitressing than the $8 an hour receptionist job I got at a criminal lawyer’s office with my degree. Never mind the cost of living and my responsibilities to my baby.

We have investors on wallstreet who have invested in the EMPTY JELLYBEAN JAR. It is being traded like a commodity! Now. Let’s say I do agree to a repayment plan. Here I come with a handful of jellybeans. Just 2 jellybeans get put in the principle loan jar. The rest get put in the empty jar.

There used to be a thing about the Ponzi scheme, but anyone who can think clearly knows they are being ripped off by this one. The collector continues this until you are exhausted and the loan returns to default.

It is then sold to the next collector. Over time - I have repaid more than 3 TIMES my original loan. So here is how I see it. I am legitimately OWED a balance of zero debt remaining, PLUS the CREDITS I and the taxpayers paid for!!

I have been waiting for the right moment, and the right group to join. I think that teachers and professors need to be paid - NOT COLLEGES. The same might be said for doctors and nurses and cpas: they need to be paid - not insurance companies who are NOT taking care of my health whatsoever.

What we have here is a MENTALITY and a WAY OF THINKING that has accepted being ripped off and ripped off and ripped off, agreeing to one bad deal after another. Now here is one thing I do appreciate about Trump: and that is teaching me the art of the deal. I know now what I did not know then. I know when to WALK AWAY from the deal.

Change has arrived, people know and understand the need for change. The justice system and government has set things up to work this way. We trusted Clinton when he made those loans more accessible for us. It was supposed to help us achieve freedom not become perpetually enslaved by a debt we can’t get out from under. I have no assets at all. I don’t get tax returns. I live a life where I cannot own anything. And any work I do: before the student loan comes for its share? I’ve worked an ENTIRE WEEK to pay taxes. Just taxes alone. An entire week of my pay per month. I have three weeks of pay left for living from. Hillary couldn’t even pass the DC bar exam! I promise you? I could, given the chances she had.

I didn’t just quit paying my student loan, my friends. I stopped playing the entire game. I work for myself. Every person has a right to work and live. This is America, and I won’t be put down by rules I did not agree to.
I believe it was Lincoln who said it: “NO MAN IS FIT TO GOVERN ANOTHER WITHOUT HIS CONSENT.”

And I know the laws of contract. To enter into a binding agreement you must be old enough, and of sound mind and judgment. And you have a duty to clearly understand what it is you are agreeing to. But you are NOT the only party with responsibilities.
If the other party hides, conceals, or obscures what you are agreeing to in order to gain your consent? That is fraud.

And it is time for the frauds to be put out of business.

2 Likes

Vote for Bernie! My debt broke up my family.

2 Likes

Im 34 years old and a mom of 2 living kids . I had 4 but 2 are now deceased. my daughter’s health condition became soo bad i couldn’t go back to work i had to be with her every single hour of the day before she took her last breath on 3/8/2014 she was 14months old with severe brain damage. I called my school loan department they told me they needed a death certificate they put me in deferment and in 2017 they took all of my taxes and are still continuing to take it all . But for 2019 they charged me $3,500 alone for interest fees.

This is ridiculous now im $ 26,000 in school loans and my certification cannot be applied in the state I have been living in since 2012 .
I moved from California to Arizona and I would have to take the class over to get Arizona certified . Which is another $18,000 .No thank you ! Now i work at a burger joint.

I don’t know its fair for US to have to pay for schooling but other countries don’t pay for schooling and then they are coming here and having more opportunities.

1 Like

Why not petition Devos to order an executive administrative forbearance. That would be nationwide. Stops everything! No collections, no garnishment, no regular payments due. She has the authority to do just that.

1 Like

This is an interesting idea. I think the general sense is that DeVos is the most resistant to this idea, and that asking her to do this because it is the right thing to do is a lost cause. Trump seems more willing to toy with this idea but is getting pushback from DeVos. But maybe the reporting is wrong? Or maybe this moment means everything is different?

I have my doubts we could budge DeVos at all, but one thing I like about this approach is that it would spread the word to debtors that this is possible, and that they only reason they are still in debt is because DeVos wants to keep them in debt. The more people who realize that the better. It will create different expectations and demands in the future