Consolidation Question

Hello All! I’m aware the consolidation deadline is today, but I’ve been hesitant. I had two loans from Sallie Mae in the late 90’s. I consolidated them in early 2000’s to Navient. I’ve gone from deferment, to forbearance, and they’ve been in IBR for a few years now. I was looking for the application for the IBR forgiveness but haven’t been able to find it.
I’m still hesitant to apply for the consolidation because I don’t want the loan to start over. Does anyone know if there’s another way to apply for forgiveness without getting the consolidation? Please let me know.
Thank you!
Tara

Hi Tara,

I am absolutely not an expert, just someone trying to get some loans forgiven like you.

As far as I know there is no way around the loan consolidation piece of the IBR/IDR or PSLF forgiveness programs. Hopefully you consolidated in time.

I think the whole point of the IDR program is that an account adjustment will occur soon (if you applied in time). They keep pushing that off, but allegedly it should be happening this year. So what should happen is you get credit for all the years already paid under that program and you should not have to start over in regards to that. If your loan terms start over it shouldn’t really matter because you should qualify for IDR/IBR really soon (provided you don’t get a high paying job in the interim). Hope that helps.