Borrowers Defense Ineligible email

I read another post regarding the same email I recieved. I was outside of the time frame for this and from what I understand that was the factor for my denial. Is that correct? Here is the email
Why was my application determined to be ineligible?

ED reviewed your borrower defense claims based on any evidence submitted by you in support of your application, your loan data from National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS®), and evidence provided by other borrowers.

Allegation 1: Employment Prospects

You allege that Heald College engaged in misconduct related to Employment Prospects. This allegation fails for the following reason(s): Failure to State a Legal Claim

Your claim for relief on this basis therefore is denied.

Allegation 2: Program Cost and Nature of Loan

You allege that Heald College engaged in misconduct related to Program Cost and Nature of Loan. This allegation fails for the following reason(s): Failure to State a Legal Claim

Allegation 3: Educational Services

You allege that Heald College engaged in misconduct related to Educational Services. This allegation fails for the following reason(s): Failure to State a Legal Claim

Allegation 4: Job Placement Rate

You allege that Heald College engaged in misconduct related to Job Placement Rate. This allegation fails for the following reason(s): Outside Coverage Dates

What evidence was considered in determining my application’s ineligibility?

We reviewed evidence provided by you and other borrowers who attended your school. Additionally, we considered evidence gathered from the following sources:

Department records relating to ownership history of your school.

Please Note: While the Department is in possession of evidence relating to your campus during the time it was owned by Corinthian Colleges Inc., your enrollment began outside of this period. The Department is not in possession of evidence that covers the period when you first enrolled

1 Like

Hi Mary

I received the same letter. It was total bull. They sat on our applications for years and then get hit with a court order to force them to “process” the applications… they said OK we got you, we will settle this matter without a final court ruling, see we are conceding… mass denial 98%?? with some generic -failure to site a proper law…?? WTH with many letters going to non-lawyers who will be lost like me, feeling defeated and lost. My claims were against Univ of Phoenix online and Devry Keller Graduate School. I just got a settlement offer from a class action suit wanting me to file my claim form. I may get $5.00… but what I don’t understand is how can they settle for a $30+million dollar deal with former students for the exact same things me and thousands of others had as the basis of our claim… WTH! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Hi Mary -
Just received my ineligible letter this week. Seems they are sending blanket denials with the same copy and pasted reasons as everyone else. They look exactly the same from the others I have heard from.
Jen

1 Like

You only have 6 years after graduation to file a claim and that $30 million settlement isn’t going to any students, it’s going to the attorneys, Servicers, Lenders and the Treasury. If you’re expecting to get a payment, that doesn’t happen. You only get a discharge of all or some of your tuition.

Just like Disability claims, they automatically deny applicants the first time, then you have to file for reconsideration as stated in the regulations. If you don’t file for reconsideration within the stated time frame, you lose any further consideration.

From what I see, many are applying simply because they attended a school under the suit or similar school and think that qualifies for a discharge…It doesn’t. BD only applies to certain loans and If you don’t have records and actual evidence that proves you were monetarily harmed, your claim will be denied.

In short, BD requires proof of palatable harm in order to qualify for discharge as does all civil actions.