Arguing for Debt Forgiveness and Free College from a Macro-Economic Prospective

It’s important to consider the ideological obstacles that one will encounter when proposing progressive policies such as forgiving all student debt and making all public colleges tuition free.

Of course, we’ve all heard the frequent use of, “who’s going to pay for it,” and, “what about the deficit,” to which progressives respond, “Wall Street will pay for it,” or, “the corporations and ultra-rich will pay for it.” And thus is start of the impending gridlocked economic debate between progressives and conservo-moderates.

However, what if there’s a way to go into the debate entirely differently? What if the debate could be steered into a conversation about what the deficit actually is? Or rather, what money and debt actually is?

If you’re curious about the alternative path, I recommend checking out the following two academics and important thinkers:
1: Stephanie Kelton (Economist, Economic Advisor to Bernie Sanders 16’)
Book: ‘The Deficit Myth’
Talk: YouTube

2: David Graeber (Anthropologist and activist - Occupy)
Book: ‘Debt: the First 5000 Years’.
Talk: YouTube

I’m interested in starting a conversation with anyone regarding the origin of money, debt, and the deficit. I’m interested in discussing how to frame the debate for free college and debt forgiveness to show how these are indeed rational, sound, and possible (not plausible) economic policies for our government to endorse. More importantly, I’m interested in organizing in order get these ideas out to the public.

Thanks!