Elizabeth Warren has a plan to make college free, cancel student debt & address inequality

Elizabeth Warren just released a policy proposal regarding student debt. I encourage everyone to read her statement about it:

I was going to pull out some highlights and try to summarize its key points, but there is just too much to highlight. You should really just read the whole thing. Let’s start a conversation about it below.

5 Likes

I am really happy that she has made this proposal and that this conversation is happening! I am hoping it forces other candidates to come on board with debt cancellation. How can we push this further now that it is being proposed in the mainstream?

3 Likes

This is a great question, and something we should discuss. I’d love to hear everyone’s ideas.

2 Likes

Personally, I want to push Bernie on this. He is a front runner and his communications director, Briahna Joy Gray said his plan is… cutting interest rates.

Its disappointing to see this as his public stance when Stephanie Kelton is his economic advisor. Can we try to organize attending a town hall or otherwise forcing him to reconcile this and making him know we are paying attention?

3 Likes

I agree, Ami. Let’s see what he does now that Warren has got this ball rolling. We are going to pressure all the candidates on this.

4 Likes

Definitely. Refinancing is not the answer and we cant let that idea be sewn into the public mind because its a terrible idea. I also dislike Yang’s policy proposals … a lot. I could probably create a whole bulleted list of why I hate it. Like this for instance from his own website:

“Establish a commission that will explore debt forgiveness or reduction for students who sought degrees under false pretenses.”

Isnt that what neg reg was? Isnt that the work we have been doing for the past several years? Does he even know what borrower defense is?

He also worked for Kaplan for a time.

3 Likes

He also mentions “partial” relief several times and proposes tying loan repayment to 10% of a persons income. Its just… bad.

3 Likes

I’ve edited this because we just got word that Kelton is still the econ advisor on the 2020 team which is great! Hopefully she is working on Bernie’s version of a debt cancelation plan, and one that doesn’t need to go through Congress to become a reality.

5 Likes

WHETHER OR NOT you vote for Ms. Warren, I truly love that this subject is getting the attention it deserves! To me, this proves that our voices are being heard! We need to stand strong and be diligent about keeping this topic in the limelight!

4 Likes

Hi,
Did anyone else receive a letter at all? Just got mine in the mail today. There’s actually quite a bit of information on it. We may have to be specific on Art Institutes being a part of The Argosy Schools. If we can look into that and maybe somehow make it a class action?!?! Not sure how, but that might be what our case looks like.

1 Like

Hi @Bre, if you could post the response here with your name and address redacted, that would be great. Just take a quick picture with your smartphone below where it says all of your personal information.

1 Like

And also @Bre, you may not be able to comment in the California attorney general action thread until you join the “For-profit college” collective. You have to click on for-profit College, then click join. After you do that you should be able to post the response on any one of the for-profit college threads.

1 Like

Hi all,
I love it that Elizabeth Warren has found a way to get rid of student loan debt for everyone without going through Congress.
Peace. :peace_symbol::om:

I agree that it is a nice attempt to have the conversation about debt cancelation. And she is revealing the secret that it is easy for this debt to be cancelled.

Did you see this article?

With Warrens plan, I would still have $130k in debt after she made her attempts. That still seems wrong. When all $180k of my debt is illegitimate.

Kindly,
Dawn

1 Like

Hi Dawn,
I agree. It needs to be a 100% write off/cancellation of student loan debt. I am going with Bernie Sanders. Warren’s plan is not enough.
Kind regards.

1 Like